Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Grandmother Charlotte

My "mama" died when I just turning one year old, she was my mother's mother. I met her when I was maybe 9 months, of course that is an age in which I was not done developing a mind of my own. I have no memory of her. If I could meet one person from the past it would be her because she had her ways of raising my mother and my mother has her mother's ways of raising me and my sister. I imagine us dancing, Salsa, all around her little house in California. I love to dance, so does my mother therefore I assume she would as well. Only if this could happen, I believe that we would wake up early on special days and prepare big dinners for the family to join us at night. My mother gets her cooking skills from Charlotte. If my mama was still alive, I would like to ask her how she overcame the troubles I have heard she experienced. If she had ever felt like giving up, or if days she just cried without holding a specific reason in her hand. I can look at a picture of her when she was 20 years old and see through her eyes that she was strong. Her responses to me would probably be something like, "God doesn't give you anything you can't handle" or, "Remain strong Nuni bug, I know you'll take the right steps and leave your footprints in the sand". Charlotte raised my mother well, my mother raised me the best she could. I hope one day I can be a great mother and not disappoint either one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment